Our guest today on the podcast is Coach Jay Johnson.
Jay Johnson has coached collegiate, professional and adult runners for more than fifteen years. Jay has also coached three US champions (cross country, indoor track and road racing) and has helped dozens of adult runners PR over distances from 1 to 100 miles.
Jay earned his Masters of Science in Kinesiology and Applied Physiology from the University of Colorado, a degree he started working on while running on the varsity cross country team which is chronicled in the book Running with the Buffaloes.
Jay Johnson will help you learn about:
- The most common mistakes made by beginner runners.
- Whether or not there is a place for walking in a beginner running program.
- How to best transition from running with walk breaks to continuous running.
- The best way to warm-up before a run.
- What you will notice when you start performing strength and mobility work as part of your running plan.
- Jay’s recommended stretching routine.
- Specific workouts to help break through plateaus in your running.
- Why you must run “strides”.
- And much more!
Links and resources mentioned in this podcast:
Coach Jay Johnson’s website (be sure to subscribe to his awesome newsletter)
Follow Jay on Twitter – @coachjayjohnson
Simple Marathon Training (The Right Training for Busy Adults with Hectic Lives) – Jay’s recent book (also see the video below)
Lunge Matrix Warm-Up for Runners – a quick and effective warm-up for runners
Strength and Mobility Routine – Phase 1, Easy Day (see this video for links to Phases 2-5)
How Should I Run Strides (an overview) – if you don’t know what strides are or you are currently not doing them, please read this
Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas (Book: Advanced Marathoning)
Listen on iTunes or Overcast
You can listen or subscribe to the podcast on iTunes here.
You can also listen to the podcast on Overcast.
If you enjoyed this episode with Jay Johnson or any other Healthynomics Podcast episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Reviews go a long way in helping the podcast reach more listeners.
Question? Leave a comment below!
Beginner runner or just getting back into it?
Get my FREE 7-lesson email course to help you get started, lose weight and discover the enjoyment of running.
Hi there. Welcome back!
Did you know that I run a 30-Day None to Run Challenge every few months?