This is lesson three of my “Get Started Running” series.
Head back to lesson 1 and 2 to catch up on what you’ve missed.
- Lesson 1 – Choosing Running Shoes, Prepping Your Body and More
- Lesson 2 – Strength Training, Running Form, Pain Management and More
In this lesson, I want to share a story of a runner that started from scratch.
His name is Leo Babauta.
In 2005, Leo was a 60-pound overweight smoker when he first decided he was going to become a “runner”. He always struggled to make exercise a habit.
Within a year, Leo finally made running a habit and even progressed to run a marathon. In 2013, Leo ran a 50-mile ultramarathon (check out Leo’s post – 16 Surprising Lessons from My First 50-Mile Ultramarathon)!
Running transformed his life. Because of running he quit smoking, got healthier, fitter, slimmer and happier.
Listen in to hear how Leo did it – what worked what didn’t.
His blog, Zen Habits, is one of the most popular on the internet. Leo’s writing focuses on helping people find simplicity in the daily chaos of their lives. His writing has helped me in many ways so I encourage you to check it out.
In this podcast you will learn:
- How Leo went from a 60-pound overweight smoker to running a 5K (and eventually a marathon).
- The positive changes Leo noticed once running became a habit.
- How Leo overcame shin splints.
- Leo’s keys to building a habit of running with the trigger habit sequence.
- How you can build your own rule based habit system.
- How running can positively impact your mind.
Links and resources mentioned in this podcast:
- Zen Habits – Leo’s main site.
- The Zen Habits Sea Change Program – Leo’s monthly membership program that helps people who are stuck and struggling to change their habits.
- @– Follow Leo on Twitter
- How to Push Through Pain like an Olympian – previous article I wrote here. Learn what I mean by the term “athletic intelligence”.
Listen on iTunes or Stitcher radio
You can listen or subscribe to the podcast on iTunes here.
You can also listen to the podcast on Stitcher Radio.
If you enjoyed this episode with Leo Babauta or any other Healthynomics Podcast episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Reviews go a long way in helping the podcast reach more listeners.
Question? Leave a comment below!
Beginner runner or just getting back into it?
Get my FREE 7-lesson email course to help you get started, lose weight and discover the enjoyment of running.
Hi there. Welcome back!
Did you know that I run a 30-Day None to Run Challenge every few months?