Be sure to sign up if you want to join my FREE 5-part email course to help you get started and discover the enjoyment of running. Click here to sign up.
In lesson two I chat with Greg Lehman.
Greg is a Physiotherapist, Chiropractor, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Spine and Exercise Biomechanics Expert. In the clinic, Greg focuses on running injury mechanics, sport injuries, persistent pain problems and post surgical rehabilitation. Greg completed his Master of Science in Kinesiology from the University of Waterloo under the supervision of Dr. Stuart McGill.
In this podcast you will learn:
- Why strength training is just as important for beginners as it is for elite runners.
- The types of strength training exercises new runners should be focusing on.
- Is stretching beneficial and if so, when is the best time to stretch?
- What you can do to improve your running form (with some specific drills to practice).
- How to distinguish between “good pain” and “bad pain”.
- The most common injury Greg sees in new runners and best practices to help you avoid injury.
- Greg’s general tips for new runners to help stay motivated and injury free.
Links and resources mentioned in this podcast:
- The Body Mechanic – Greg’s site. Some great articles related to running and general strength training.
- Pain and Injury Physiotherapy Solutions – Greg’s other site – focuses on understanding and treating pain.
- @greglehman – follow Greg on Twitter
- A-Skip video – use this drill to warm-up and improve your form
- B-Skip video – a variation of the A-Skip mentioned above
Remember, to follow along with this “Get Started Running” series, click here to register.
Listen on iTunes or Stitcher radio
You can listen or subscribe to the podcast on iTunes here.
You can also listen to the podcast on Stitcher Radio.
If you enjoyed this episode with Greg Lehman or any other Healthynomics Podcast episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Reviews go a long way in helping the podcast reach more listeners.
Question? Leave a comment below!
Beginner runner or just getting back into it?
Get my FREE 7-lesson email course to help you get started, lose weight and discover the enjoyment of running.
Hi there. Welcome back!
Did you know that I run a 30-Day None to Run Challenge every few months?