Today we chat with Dr. Trent Stellingwerff.
Trent is the Innovation and Research Lead at the Canadian Sport Institute – Pacific in my hometown of Victoria, British Columbia.
Married to Canadian Olympic 1500 meter runner, Hilary Stellingwerff, Trent is a former track and field athlete at Cornell University where he ran middle distance races.
He’s worked with numerous Olympic track and field athletes and elite rowers. Before his position with the Canadian Sport Institute, Trent worked in Switzerland as an exercise physiologist with the Nestle (Powerbar) Research Centre.
I hope you enjoy our chat and if you have any questions, please leave them in the comments.
- Why marathon fueling doesn’t get the attention it deserves.
- What distance do runners need to pay attention to fueling.
- The specific ingredients runners should be looking for in their mid-race fuel to optimize their performance.
- How hydration fits into the fueling equation.
- How many times a runner should aim to practice his/her fueling before their target race.
- Tips to practice your fueling like the pros.
- The rule of 15 for marathon fueling.
- How to train you body to better utilize fat as energy and boost your confidence during those last few miles of a marathon.
- Different hypotheses as to why Kenyan and Ethiopian marathon runners dominate the marathon distance.
Links and resources mentioned in this podcast:
- Fuel My Run – the app I created to help me practice my marathon fueling.
- Podcast 005 – Dr. Trent Stellingwerff interview – Jay Johnson’s podcast interview with Trent. This podcast blew my mind and made me realize that I didn’t nearly fuel enough in my first marathon.
- @ – Follow Trent on Twitter
Listen on iTunes or Stitcher radio
You can listen or subscribe to the podcast on iTunes here.
You can also listen to the podcast on Stitcher Radio.
If you enjoyed this episode with Trent Stellingwerff or any other Healthynomics Podcast episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Reviews go a long way in helping the podcast reach more listeners.
Download the entire interview in PDF: click here
Beginner runner or just getting back into it?
Get my FREE 7-lesson email course to help you get started, lose weight and discover the enjoyment of running.
Hi there. Welcome back!
Did you know that I run a 30-Day None to Run Challenge every few months?