Let’s face it. The psychology side of running, especially when you’re a beginner, is important.
Sexy, however, it is not.
While I have covered the mental side of running from a habit formation aspect, I have not done a great job at providing you with tactics you can use during your runs.
This interview closes the gaping hole shut and if you incorporate some of the tactics discussed here, you WILL become a better runner.
About Shannon Thompson
Shannon is both an athlete and a coach. She competed in the equestrian sport of Three Day Eventing for fifteen years. Like a triathlon on a horse!
She then got interested in the sport of running and has raced distances ranging from the 800m to ultra trail events.
An interest in the psychology of achievement led her to completing an undergraduate degree in psychology and a Masters in Applied Positive Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania.
Through Hypo2 Sport and B78 Coaching, Shannon now coaches athletes in several different sports to improve their performance.
In this episode we talk about:
- How to approach setting goals for your running.
- How to get the best out of any run.
- How to combat negative thoughts so you can run feeling energized and motivated.
- Ways to become a more patient runner.
- How to enhance your mental toughness.
- How to develop a game plan for every run or race.
- The importance of mindfulness.
- Strategies to help you cope with and come back from an injury or setback.
- Shannon’s recommended books
- And much more!
UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center – Free guided meditations
Sweat Science (Runner’s World) – articles written by Alex Hutchinson
Finding Mastery Podcast – High Performance Psychology with Dr. Michael Gervais
Hypo2 Sport – world-renowned altitude training organization in Arizona.
B78 Coaching – Delivers coaching services and training programs for triathletes, runners and cyclists.
Listen on iTunes or Google Play
You can listen or subscribe to the podcast on iTunes here.
You can also listen to the podcast on Overcast.
Other articles/podcasts on the psychology / mindset aspect of running to check out:
- Unique Perspectives From an Elite Runner (And The Mental Struggles All Runners Face)
- 9 Tips to Help Beginner Runners Overcome Common Mental Blocks (And Run Longer and Faster)
If you enjoyed this episode with Shannon Thompson or any other Healthynomics Podcast episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Reviews go a long way in helping the podcast reach more listeners.
Question? Leave a comment below!
Beginner runner or just getting back into it?
Get my FREE 7-lesson email course to help you get started, lose weight and discover the enjoyment of running.
Hi there. Welcome back!
Did you know that I run a 30-Day None to Run Challenge every few months?